Tuesday, December 27, 2011

my Favorite Things: S

I have three sisters. I have zero brothers. I would go with sisters as my favorite thing, but I have no brothers, so they could be my favorite, I’ll never know. Besides, I think my sisters will understand that I don’t choose them as my favorite “S” things, they’re understanding like that.


I actually have a couple of geekish favorites to use for “S”: Spider-man and Smallville. Regarding Smallville, it is one of the longest running super-hero shows, and it did a pretty good job at telling the story of Clark Kent becoming Superman. Now, I will be the first to admit that it didn’t always keep “true” to the Superman story and it had a tendency to be cheesy at times. Despite any shortcomings, it is a show that got better as it progressed. I was very disappointed the show ended, because I liked the way it had established so many of the DC characters in the TV medium in a way that could have gone on for quite a while. I’m actually waiting on watching the last season out of some weird wish it isn’t really over.


With Spider-man, he is a character I have enjoyed a lot since I was a kid. Spider-man is great for getting the attention of kids because of his energy, and the colorful design of his costume. Regarding stories, he has a universal appeal because he is the “everyman” of comics. Peter Parker fights crime as Spider-man and has to deal with getting enough money for rent like everyone else. He has a great sense of responsibility because his uncle died after his inaction. He never gives up and in many instances, he demonstrates the need to use intelligence to triumph; it isn’t always the strongest who wins a fight.


I started collecting Spider-man comics when I was about eleven, and I have every issue of Amazing Spider-man from the late eighties ‘til now. That is a pretty significant run (almost 400 issues). See, it is kind of geekish... The Spider-man cartoon from the nineties is classic for me. Then Spider-man 2 was one of the best super-hero movies ever; it captured the character perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. I never got past the first season of Smallville even though it was enjoyable. And I have never read the Spiderman comics although I know they are your all-time favorites. I am not sure that I ever saw Spiderman 2. But sisters well at least "sister" as in MY sister... THAT would be a favorite for me! Oh and Sewing which I never foresee as being a favorite for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise, surprise - I haven't watched Smallville either. But that was a conscious decision on my part, rather than just not having heard of it.

    I was about eight-ish when those Spiderman cartoons started airing. That, along with X-Men and Power Rangers, were some of my favorites.

    My favorite "S" would have to be "singing." In college my dorm-mates incorrectly assumed I was in Choir because I was nearly always singing to myself. And sometimes, while humming/singing quietly out in public, I put on earbuds (that may not even be connected to anything, but no one can tell since it goes into my pocket)...just so that I don't look *too* strange. And once, I got on a subway car and found that I was the only person in it. So I did what anyone else would have done- Sing. Loudly. =)

    ReplyDelete