Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Favorite Things: D

Imagine yourself and a group of friends spending a day trying to help another friend finish a big outdoor project. Just so happens that it would be the hottest day of the summer. The heat is getting to all of you, but the progress is motivating, as is the scrumptious meal awaiting you when you all get done.


After about two hours of heavy lifting and moving (and spraying each other with water hoses ‘cause that is how friends work together outside) the project is done. You’ve been safe a kept hydrated, but now you can truly cool off in the nicely air conditioned house. You all settle in and then you begin to really notice something funky.


Earlier you caught wiffs of it, but now it is assaulting your senses. That overwhelming stench of body odor. In the closed quarters, everyone realizes that someone forgot to put on some deodorant before they left the house. The heat made it really bad, and now no one wants to get near them; groan every time an arm is lifted.


Yes, my favorite “D” thing is deodorant. Now, it is not deodorant that I love, it is more the fact that I have a strong (pun intended) aversion to BO. Seriously, everyone hates BO, and as a result should love deodorant. Send letters of gratitude to makers of “make-you-smell-not-bad” sticks.


Also, if you don’t use deodorant or some (working) all-natural substitute, start. Now. Walk, don’t run (no need to cause any more perspiration until the purchase is made) to the closest store and by some. Take a shower, and after you dry off, apply generously to your pits. Your friends will start talking to you again and say thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Well... I too am very grateful when people wear deodorant. Perhaps it is an unsung hero of American living, but I can honestly say that I would NEVER have thought to put it as my favorite thing!! LIMB!

    I would probably have gone with dogs, because I love dogs. Not as much as the E-Harmony Youtube video girl loves cats, but I do love dogs. Especially BIG ones! Little ones I don't care for too much. Typically, they are yappy and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked Juvenile Detention before the policy allowed for Deodorant for all juveniles. They would come back from a sweaty PE hour and reek like sour skunk butt. Many times I had to perform a pat search on these juveniles. It made me gag. Finally, policy changed and deodorant was allowed to all, and that made my job much easier (yet, far from fresh still.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs are definitely list worthy, but I thought that might be a bit cliche. Why was deodorant not allowed in Juvi? How are you actually supposed to abbreviate juvenile detention? And did they feel stinky? Just curious if they actually knew they smelled bad.
    And speaking of dogs and deodorant, I know one can bathe a dog, but I'd think they would be in need of deodorant too. Why are humans the only mammals that need deodorant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what I'd choose for my "D," but after today I know that it wouldn't be "doorman." =P
    Hm...I also wouldn't have thought of deodorant, but it's a good point. I had to chuckle at your insertion of the word "working" before "all-natural substitute."

    ReplyDelete