I know on C I had a hard time determining one favorite out of three (equal to me) options. This particular post also has three, but they are not so much contenders, as they are three things with something in common. The three things are Faith, Family, and Freedom. The three are all important, and to me share something in common: they tend to get overlooked or forgotten when I get distracted by less important things.
I love my family, as do most people. I’m just not always the best at keeping in touch with them. Some friends are like family to me, but even they fall victim to busyness of life or distractions of frivolity. This or that activity keep us from spending as much time with our families. Distances come between us (ironic redundancy), usually because our dreams and callings are different.
Faith too is important, but again I sometimes tend to lack passion, not because I have lost faith, but because less important things grab my attention. This is a difficult one because I understand the call to live by faith, but “life” is about what can be seen and touched. Without daily time in the Word and Prayer, my life quickly shifts to the default setting of living by sight. Relying on my own strength is “easy” but being dependent on God is difficult because we are all prone to wander away from God to things that are in comparison trivial.
I am very thankful for the freedoms I enjoy in America. Something easy to forget while “enjoying” freedom is the sacrifice given to enjoy that freedom. Sure, we have holidays set aside to honor live lost in pursuit of freedom or commemorating signifiant days on the journey to our current freedoms. But it seems to me that a lot of Americans (myself included) forget the responsibility that comes from having freedom. The sacrifice of those in the past was made for us, but not to abuse freedom the way some people do. Struggles were faced in hopes that future generations could experience prosperity and fight to continue it for following generations; not so future generations could expect prosperity and lavish it on themselves with no concern for following generations.
These deserve much more elaboration, but regarding Faith, Family and Freedom, consider how important they are. Now ask yourself: “are they as important to you everyday life as they should be?”
P.S. Don't feel bad if you like facebook, most of you will know about this because of that social media.
P.P.S. facetious is one of my favorite words and favorite things are one of my favorite things...
I appreciate the illustration of shifting back to our "default setting." We can all relate, I think.
ReplyDeleteBesides how true that rang in my head, I enjoyed how digital-age the example is.
(I've found that using the word "facetious" in conversation is one of the quickest ways to be labeled a nerd. =] Once in response, my cousin made a disgusted face and exclaimed "Can't you use *normal* words?")
Five starts with "F" so I think it's OK to have five favorite "F's"! I like faith, family, freedom, Facebook, and facetious! Life would be very, very different if any of them were missing. Yes, even being facetious (Which should be included on your cool words list, if it wasn't already!)
ReplyDelete