Thursday, December 15, 2011

my Favorite Things: I

Many, many, many winters ago when the snow fell at home, my dad built a snow fort with my sister and me. I don’t remember a lot about it other than it was the best snow-fort ever (imagine that being said by Buddy the Elf). It was around that time I thought (briefly) it would be fun to be an eskimo so I could live in an Igloo (snow fort) all of the time. I didn’t get how igloos actually worked to keep people warm and safe from exposure with out melting.


The coming of winter reminds me of that fort when it snows, and also gives me odd cravings for Ice Cream. I wasn’t a huge fan of Ice Cream as a kid, but my taste for it has grown over the years. This past spring I was able to visit some friends in California and had ice cream in a shop in Pasadena. The flavor was lemon mint, which at first sounded odd to me, but it quickly became one of the best things I ever tasted. Simultaneously, lemon basil ice cream became one of the grossest things I tasted; but with food it is one of those things you have to be willing to try.


Finally, I would be remiss if I failed to mention the Gem State. Most of you probably have no clue which state I’m referring to since it is more commonly known as the potato state. I grew up in Idaho, home of my birthplace, BSU Broncos, and my favorite Christmas destination. There are many wonderful places to see in Idaho and everyone should visit sometime. Float the river, ski, hike, bike, camp, hunt and fish, Idaho “has it all.”


B to the W- jasonwarrenemly is not my favorite “J” thing, but I’m sure it tops everyone elses list...

2 comments:

  1. Never really wanted to go anywhere go cold enough for igloos, LOVE icecream (especially Bluebell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or Braums Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk), and have never been to Idaho. It's sounds like a very cool place to visit with lost of cool stuff to do.

    I think I would say... Ireland, the home of me ancestors (imagine a leprechaun's accent). Other than NYC (oddly enough), I have always, always, always wanted to go to Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I did like snow forts, I seldom built any due to the unfortunate side affect of freezing oneself.

    But ice cream, that's something altogether different! I try new flavors when possible and tend to gravitate towards anything nut-related.

    The farthest west I've ever gone is Oklahoma, though I'd definitely take the chance to visit other states if I could.
    To be honest, until I looked it up myself out of curiosity (as an older teen about to graduate high school), I only had a vague idea of where Idaho was (somewhere north-ish). It's a shame, but people raised in NYC generally have the worst American geography skills. It's not taught in public school. We often forget that there are other states around.
    Try it sometime- find someone at work who was raised here...chances are they can't tell you where most other states are located unless they have family there. :)

    ReplyDelete