Friday, December 23, 2011

My favorite Things: Q

This is the letter you simultaneously hope for and dread in Scrabble. It has a high point value, but only because it is difficult to use, especially because it typically needs a “U”. I went through the possible words in my head, wondering which one could be my favorite. There’s Queen, with their strong, energetic songs, they just aren’t my favorite. Queens is my favorite part of NYC, but to be fair, I haven’t spent extensive time in the Bronx or Brooklyn (I spend much of my day in Manhattan). Then there is Quelf, a fun game, but Apples to Apples, Balderdash, Scattergories and Scrabble are my favorites, I still need to do more testing to see I Quelf can join ranks with the others.


That leaves me in a pickle. What could be my favorite Q thing?


I then realized, one of my favorite things since childhood is Questions. I was the kid who always wanted to know why. Whether I was receiving instruction or direction or learning about something, I just had to know why. In my younger years, questions were born out of a curious nature; I wanted (needed) to know how things went together. “Because” wasn’t a good answer for me.


As I get older, I still have a lot of the same child-like curiosity, but often the whys concern motives/motivation. I examine details and try to make all of the pieces fit. This is why I enjoy mysteries. Also, my questioning, curious nature plays a role in my assessment of a story; do the motivations and reactions of the character(s) make sense?


Questions lead to discovery. I have heard it said a person changes their whole life until they die. I would imagine boredom reigns supreme in a persons life they day they stop asking questions. We should never stop learning and growing; questions and answers keep life interesting. So go out there and start asking questions again.

2 comments:

  1. Quelf was pretty fun, the one time I played it.

    It's true that questions lead to discovery, but sometimes the answers aren't what you want to hear or the answer just brings to mind many more questions. Some questions simply have no answer, at least not in this lifetime. Questions are truly necessary in life (Have you ever thought about trying to go even five minutes without asking any questions? See how hard it is? I can't hardly go two sentences... I mean really!) but I cannot say I enjoy them.

    I think I would have to go with "Quips." You know, a clever remark or a witty or funny observation or response usually made on the spur of the moment. I love that type of "Q" because they usually make me laugh and I love things and people that can make me laugh. Hmmm... maybe "Laugh" should have been my favorite "L."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever use of "Q"- Wouldn't have thought to use it this way, but questions definitely works.
    I was also a curious kid, wanting to know the why and how of everything from outer space to the circulatory system to anything else I could think to ask. Eventually, questions led me to my faith in Christ. And then, since I wasn't raised a Christian, everything was new, a potential "why...?"
    Many things I allowed God to change about me and many new practices I took up in my Christian life happened as I tried to learn why. While we don't have to get the answers to everything, God isn't afraid when we ask Him why and often He is magnanimous enough to show us.

    ReplyDelete