Tuesday, December 20, 2011

my favorite Things: K

Sorry Kessa, can’t start “playing favorites” with my relatives now. I’m smiling now at my fiendishly good play on words in that sentence. I’m basking for a moment in self-adulation...


OK, basking is done.


The KKK and K.I.S.S., were so close on this one. (I’m being facetious, but I think it is ironic that they both have ridiculous costumes; besides, I was black growing up.)


The favorite on this one goes to King David, the guy from the Bible. This guy had humble beginnings, and even before becoming king, he took out Goliath, beginning a fascination with under dogs in a story. He even cut of the giants head and you know, held it up to show he killed Goliath all the way to dead.


He spent years waiting to receive the throne. During his time on the run, he gained of following of mighty men, who individually and collectively present one of the best examples of masculinity in all of history. These guys could probably kill you three times to Friday, had devotion to God and their leader, and cared for their families.


Later in life, David made some poor decisions, but that is another reason why he is among my favorites. Not because he royally messed up (these plays on words are so there for me right now) but because he got back up and kept going for God. It is heartening to know I am not the only one to make mistakes (a gentle euphemism for sin) and even though certain “mistakes” may follow me through life, they will not be the only thing to define me. Yes, it will be a notable aspect, but David was, and is still known as the man who followed after God’s own heart; a fact not nullified by his illicit relationship Bath-sheba.


On a final note, I want to apologize to K.I.S.S. While I’m not really a fan of their music, I don’t think it was fair to lump them in with the KKK. Yes both look weird, but one does so for entertainment, the other out of bigotry and a ridiculous notion that there is more than one race. We’re ALL human race people!

2 comments:

  1. Staying within the same category, albeit a different letter (that's within your guidelines right?), my favorite is David's friend Jonathan. He was courageous, devoted, humble, a strong leader, a good son, and a true friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jason.... you were so "punny" today! (Hey, don't roll your eyes! If you can play with the words, so can I! ;)

    King David is one of my favorites too. He certainly paid a heavy, heavy price for his sins but you are so right in that he didn't let them define him. And really, whenever I think of someone's walk with God that I would most like to imitate, I think it's David. I would love to be known as a woman after God's own heart. I think it's just about the highest compliment we could achieve.

    Oh, and a good book to read on us all being the same human race is called, "One Blood." It's really good.

    Anita: Jonathan has long been a favorite too. He was all of things you mentioned and his friendship with David was something special. He's the Godly kind of friend we all wished we could have but rarely ever meet. I have to think that Solomon grew up hearing about Jonathan's influence in David's life and that he pictured him when he wrote Prov. 27:17 - "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

    ReplyDelete