Much of my first “P” was dedicated to some of my favorite TV shows, all conveniently starting with “P”. After finishing there was... actually there is something that I wanted to use even before I settled on those shows (go read two posts back if you want to know what shows I’m talking about). Now there happens to be a very interesting word, redux, which ca either refer to a return to a previous story, a retelling of a story, a sequel of sorts or even a remix (like of a song). So my favorite “R” is the redux of “P.”
Some may be wondering (which is good because maybe you are starting to ask questions again) what could warrant the return to a previous letter. Well, there is a simple word, and once it is read most people will think of it in one way. I challenge you to consider there are two aspects to the word before you categorize it my (other?) favorite P is preaching.
The first aspect of preaching is getting to hear it. During my time in Bible college (that makes it sound like a prison sentence, but it wasn’t) I was able to hear preaching from many pastors, evangelists, missionaries and teachers from all over the world. One good definition of preaching is “power poured through personality.” I like this definition because the ability to help and change lives comes from God’s word. I know it is a matter of semantics but The Word Preached is more Important than preaching the Word.
I like others have my favorite preachers, those with a personality seem to make the power more exciting, but the fact remains that it isn’t about the person. That is part of God’s plan, he wants to use preaching to change lives because it doesn’t necessarily make sense that something so simple would be the vehicle of His Truth. Seriously, think of the messages that have changed your life, how is it anything short of a miracle that God could bring about change in your life through “just a sermon”?
The other reason this is my favorite is because I like to preach. It may seem like simple semantics to emphasize what is preached over preaching, but as one who does (attempt to) preach, I am amazed that anyone could be challenge by something I said. Now, it isn’t what I say. I know that. It is simply (“simply”) a matter of studying a passage, allowing enough of my personality to expose uniquely the intended meaning of the text without allowing it to become about me. BTW, some of the most dynamic preachers are typically our favorite, but it is the pastors who labor week after week in simple sermons that do the most building in the lives of people.
This is one of those topics that I could “redux” a lot. There are some walk away points though. If you don’t believe preaching can really change lives, visit church with me a few times, and if you aren’t in NY, I’ll help you find somewhere to visit. Second, if preaching has changed your life, let others know (by preaching to them, not at them, another game of semantics, but you have to think about how that works in your life). If you are a preacher, study and make sure you are pouring out “the excess” not all of your reserves (I’m talking to myself here...). Finally, thank your pastor for his labor in the Word.
Peace out yo! (still my favorite parting phrase, even in the redux).
Love the redux. My favorite of your Favorites thus far. It really struck me when you pointed out how miraculous it is to have our lives changed by something as simple as preaching.
ReplyDeletemy favorite R - road trips!
ReplyDeletemy favorite sermon - I don't remember who preached it but it was at Heartland - the dude that fell out the window... you probably don't remember but i remember it almost word for word.
Cool use of "R"! I love your question, "how is it anything short of a miracle that God could bring about change in your life through 'just a sermon'?"
ReplyDeleteWhen God's Word is preached and reaches your heart, it sure can stay with you. There was a message preached during the Missions Conf at SWBC in OKC about Jesus sleeping in the boat while it was in a storm and the disciples thought they were going to drown. It was this past March and I still think of it often. It was exactly what I needed to hear, when I needed to hear it.
It really is a little miraculous when a preacher is preaching to a whole group of people and God uses him to reach out and speak individually to your heart dealing individually with your hurts, your sins, your needs.
It's kinda mind-boggling that He chooses to do so much through "the foolishness of preaching." I cannot imagine the honor and responsibility involved in being chosen to be the vessel He uses.
Ok, back to "R"... Benny, I was going to say the exact same thing - Road Trips! When I moved from Nashville back to OKC I made seven trips totaling somewhere around 80 hours of driving all in one month. In doing so I learned that I love to go on long road trips, even by myself! Would love to have an excuse to do it again...
So yes, I too have many favorite sermons. Also, I love road trips, especially to new place. BTW, Road Trip Jason is pretty fun...
ReplyDelete