Monday, January 9, 2012

My Favorite Things: T

I’m not particularly lazy, I would get too bored not doing something. I had written about four and a half paragraphs for my favorite T thing and then I shut down my computer not having saved the file. I thought it was for the changes then realized it was “unititled.” Hey, I never claimed to be too bright when I’m tired. In my defense I was running on limited sleep, and was finishing my laundry at one in the morning so I could get up and pack at 7 to leave for a road trip right after church.


As for the week and a half in between my last post and now, well I have no defense for that, just be glad I’m writing now. Besides, I decided to changed my favorite T thing after a suggestion by an anonymous contributor with the initials Leroy Wickham. The four and a half paragraphs was a very eloquent blabberfest about traveling and how we experience difficult cultures and gain a better appreciation for our respective homes. Yeah it would have been touching. Maybe even awe-inspiring if not life changing. (Pause dramatically and think about that possibility reflectively.)


My favorite T thing is a person, and I know I’ve tried to avoid people, but there is a guy who has at least earned my respect, Tim Tebow. If you don’t know who that is, go google him.


We’ll wait.


The thing I respect about him is the fact that he is not afraid to speak out about his faith in Jesus Christ. He speaks as one who has a relationship with Christ, not someone looking for a sound byte to promote his religion. I think that is why he has gotten so many critics. Our culture has become accustomed to Christians being hypocrites who treat Jesus like He is a lucky charm. It is easy to dismiss THAT Jesus because all religions have similar “luck charms” or talismans.


When looking at the life of a man like Tim Tebow, they are confronted with an individual who actually lives and acts like Jesus is alive and real (because He is). As a public figure, he tells of his love, demonstrates it through his actions (missions trips, etc.), and doesn’t take a defensive position. When he is questioned, he simply gives the reason of the hope within him. Jesus loves me, died for me, rose from the dead and has made heaven my home for eternity... that is why I love Him.


The reason I “don’t do this or do that” has nothing to do with thinking I am better than any one else. Believe me I’m far from great. That’s how God works though, He loves us. Period. When we trust in His gift of salvation made available through Jesus, we naturally begin to love Him in response. Our love gives us the desire to obey God and to do or not do particular things. Disobedience and improper conduct is a result of us forgetting or disregarding His love for us. Whenever things get off track in life, simply go back to the truth that God is Love.


If you’re a Christian “embarrassed” by Tim Tebow, have you forgotten that Jesus loves you. If you think Christianity or belief in God is a waste of time, Jesus still loves you. We don’t change God, He changes us...


Now, it’s Tebow Time. Get some one to take a picture of you Tebowing, e-mail the picture to me and I’ll make a collage in a couple of weeks if I get enough to make a decent collage.

4 comments:

  1. I like your nearly used "T" of traveling, 'cause I just love traveling, but I LOVE your actual choice! Tim Tebow's testimony is, simply put, awe-inspiring. I noticed him while he was still in college and was impressed with his testimony, story, and character back then. Going pro has not changed him; he's been very, very consistent. Even though my favorites list is already cluttered up by the Green Bay Packers (who have been my personal favorites since I was 13) and the Dallas Cowboys (who are my token "family team" favorites by birth), I can't help but cheering the Broncos on for Tim Tebow's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling is almost certainly my favorite "T." Nevertheless, I had an unexpectedly enjoyable time reading up on Tim Tebow. Google brought me to Wikipedia, which in turn led me to look up news articles, a Focus on the Family ad, a couple of blogs, and this one site called tebowing.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lookee here, my blog is somehow educational!

      Delete