OK, don’t hate me. I have really enjoyed writing about my favorite things, but it has gotten somewhat tedious. Generally speaking, our favorite things are the elements of life we find enjoyable and provide encouragement as we face the less nice things. Still, writing about them has gotten tedious, so this post is a sprint of sorts for me as I attempt to wrap it up in one fell-swoop and move on in the new year. There won’t be a lot of elaboration but these ones don’t really warrant it, so hang on and enjoy the ride.
I’ve issued the Tebowing challenge for T check out that post if you haven’t. That puts us at U. In school, U is almost always for umbrella, and well, I don’t have a good history with umbrella, they make me think of another U, “UGH”. My favorite U is unicorns. Yes, unicorns. They represent an attitude of whimsy in life, a bit of imagination and as far as “imaginary” creatures go, unicorns are far less creepy than Santa or the Tooth Fairy. (Seriously, old fat man stalking children and some creepy woman stealing their teeth, how are they not creepy?)
In about a month guys (and some girls) everywhere will be wrapping up shopping, or freaking out because they forgot to shop for Valentine’s Day. The thing I love most about this holiday is the way it provides a constant reminder of being single. When I was a little kid, I was a “little” kid. The girls didn’t really have crushes on me, which was kinda OK since they had cooties, but not-so-OK when they didn’t have cooties. Either way, I didn’t have the box overflowing with Valentines in Grade School, outside of the generic ones stuffed in by everyone. That’s more like someone stuffing a ballot box, you KNOW you aren’t good enough to receive actual votes, but someone tries to tell you you’re still special in such a hollow way, you don’t want to be that kind of “special.” Now, when you get older and you are in a relationship, you have to get the “perfect” gift, which is impossible, because no matter how nice it is, give it a day and it is the worst gift ever i.e. “Oh, I love chocolate” turns in to “Are you just trying to make me fat” or “Those really nice flowers you bought me are DEAD.” My favorite V thing is (the mockery of) Valentine’s Day.
Moving on: After reading this blog and knowing me I would think many people could say by knowing me, they may not have been changed for the better, but they have been changed for good. Whoever “really understood” the last line knows my favorite W is Wicked, the play. It is a musical telling the true story of the witches from the Wizard of Oz. I want to say why it is my favorite, but one of my least favorite things is Spoilers. The play is great, check it out, and enjoy the songs too.
I enjoy stories, great plots, unpredictable yet character-driven events and comic books. One comic book series that incorporates all of the preceding criteria is called X-Factor. If you don’t read comics, you wouldn’t really know that any given series could fluctuate in quality. The current X-Factor series has been consistently well written by Peter David for over 80 issues. It isn’t actually a book everyone would enjoy, but it is still on of my favorite comics (simply more consistent than most any other “X-men” comic.) Coming in with a close second place is the ’90’s X-men cartoon, appreciated by most children born in the 1980’s, except my sister, but my brothers-in-law like it, so I feel vindicated.
At this point I have been rambling for quite a while, and I think you’re still reading. This is actually close to my 80th post I think, and many people have read every one of my posts, good or bad or just plain ridiculous. So my favorite Y thing is YOU, for reading, following, commenting and making this so fun for this long. Now you can rest your head in your pillow tonight knowing I like YOU more than Yogurt (it makes me regular, but you make me special).
In conclusion, I like Zippers. I don’t know who invented them (quick someone google that) but I like them, the inventor and the invention. I couldn’t imagine having to button everything like my pants. I would have died in the Colonial times what with no indoor plumbing, and then fumbling with my buttons when I finally made it to the Out-House. Look at that: Zipper to Awkward in one sentence, just how I roll... Also, Zipper is a very cool fly from Chip ‘N’ Dale’s Rescue Rangers.
This concludes jasonwarrenemly’s over-ambitious series on his favorite things, thanks for your participation, now back to your regularly scheduled program of randomness.
these aren't what I expected you to like, but I must say great minds think alike! First, I was trying to guess what your fav U, V, W, X, Y and Z would be. You surprised me with Tebow, so I didn't think I would guess right. Again you surprised me with unicorn - and that would have been my fav. Mocking V-day doesn't surprise me, but I think you are selling yourself short - I happen to remember your adolescence... but go right ahead and be cynical. I didn't expect Wicked and I LOVE that you like it! Definitely my fav W. I expected X-men and actually guessed you would say zipper. Time hasn't changed that much! lol
ReplyDeleteGlad I surprised you in so many good ways. Much fun was had coming up with the list, and it is pretty cool you shared so many favorites in my conclusions.
DeleteYou pulled it off nice job
ReplyDeleteI tip my hat. And thanks for the "T" idea.
DeleteI'm quite chuffed that you like us more than yogurt! It's no chore to follow your blog, whether the post is serious, ridiculous, or some strange hybrid of the two.
ReplyDeleteThis was a fine conclusion to your series! Although... I'm confused as to how we're going "back" to randomness. At what point in this series did we ever leave it? ;)
A hybrid of ridiculous and serious... That sounds like a possible subtitle for my life... Touche on the randomness comment.
DeleteI am the opposite of Benny... the Unicorn I guessed, X-Factor was a given, Wicked was too, once I thought about it. Wasn't expecting the mocking of V-day or the Zipper though. Using zipper rather reminds me of the deodorant post... it's something that is necessary and I am thankful for, but wouldn't classify as a favorite.
ReplyDeleteAnd hey, look at that! I am one of those crazed people who has nothing better to do than read every single one of your "good or bad or just plain ridiculous" posts. So cool that "I" made it on your favorites list, right above yogurt... =/ LIMB
And I totally agree with Anita! No matter what else your posts are they are likely to be random. That's a large part of the charm. And though the series was TOTALLY fun, "regularly scheduled randomness" is awesome too. (Speaking of random... Be a good friend and go read my post from New Year's Eve about Random. I think you will like it and it will explain why I believe Random to be a highly sought after compliment.)
just so everyone knows, zippers may have been obvious, and they seem like a necessary part of everyday life, but you would not have them if you were amish. zippers are an evil technological advancement. Now that I think of it, I don't think an amish person would have many of the same favorites...
ReplyDelete