It is difficult for some people to try new things. I sometimes have a hard time with it, simply because there are just certain things I like, so there really is no reason to try anything new. This can be said of food, books, TV shows, games, brands of clothing or dish soap. (I threw that last one in there to seem sensitive).
One cool thing about a new city, especially one like New York that is a little bigger than some places, is everything is new. There are hundreds of restaurants, grocery stores, and just places to go that are all new. Now an approach I could take would be to find places that fit into the tailored tastes I had before. Or I could take the chance, and hang out in this place out of my comfort zone.
I visited my sister a little over a month ago and went to this Ice Cream shop where they have incredible flavors. The one I loved the most was Lemon-Mint. It first that sounded so weird, but it wasn’t going to hurt me to try it, and it was great (the Lemon-Basil my sister loves was straight up blech). I actually think Lemon Ice Cream/Sorbet is my new favorite flavor (still want the Lemon-Mint but I haven’t found it here yet).
Between that and my time here in the city, I realized my “discomfort” has allowed me “expand my horizons.” So often when we are in one place for a while (not “too long” because consistency is good) we can grow complacent, or find ourselves in a rut. We stop growing as people, and eventually we even accept a status quo in our lives that 5, 10, 20 years ago we would have been appalled with.
You don’t have to be in New York, or even in a new city to go on this adventure with me. Over the next couple of days, weeks and months try doing some of the following things, that I am bound to do while I’m here. Check out the restaurant, you know, the one on the corner you pass everyday on your way to work. Have an actual conversation with the “new” cashier at your grocery store (I hope you realize, your closest friends now, were at one point complete strangers). Go a different route to work. Go to the local landmark you haven’t ever gone to yet. Read a book by a new author, just because a friend said you would like it (who knows, you actually might).
New and different can add some spice to life! Good thoughts and encouragement to keep on growing, branching out, exploring, and "adventuring"! =)
ReplyDeleteI like to trying new foods. I'll taste almost anything once... but I don't necessarily try it twice. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't know if they have Lemon-Mint, but you can check the Ice Cream Factory in Chinatown. Besides the traditional flavors, they've got odd ones like Wasabi or Avocado. (N,Q,R train to Canal Street...Ice Cream Factory is a 5 minute walk from the station.)