Thursday, June 16, 2011

Subway

The Subway in New York is great. Seriously, I hate driving and anything related to driving, like owning a car, getting gas, paying way too much for insurance because uninsured idiots, paying way to much for gas because of political idiots, other drivers and I ‘m sure there are many other reasons, maybe I’ll put up a list someday. But I won’t be like Letterman; I like the number eleven, so if anything, I would have Jason’s Top Eleven.

Anyway, the subway is cool because it can get you pretty much anywhere you need, and you can do stuff you should do while driving, but some people do anyway. Part of the fun (for now at least because of the novelty) is seeing the people actually doing all of these things.

One activity I have done is reading. Once you know your stop you can read, just don’t fall asleep because unlike driving, there is no rumble strip, you just keep going, for a while. I hesitate to laugh too much because I’m afraid it will happen to me, and I’ll wake up at Coney Island (the last stop for some of the Queens trains I take). A mild one I saw the other day was a girl wearing moccasin-type shoes and changing in to her death-heels (what high-heels are in reality) just before her stop.

Last week, my train car was serenaded by a Mariachi band. Dude, it was hot and these guys were out in their jeans and long-sleeved-mariachi shirts. My favorite one so far though was this noisy lady on tuesday. She “can’t come over today but will come over in the morning.” “What is wrong with you, listen to the words I’m saying, I can’t make it tonight.” (OK this next one is my favorite, and it will almost be verbatim). “You’re not listening! How the (blank) can I make it... Listen to the word... How the (different blank, even though she was literally quoting the profanity she just used two second before) do you think I can make it there. I can’t make it tonight, you’ll have to wait ‘til tomorrow.”

Anyway, to the relief of everyone on the train, her much repeated question stopped assaulting our ears as she and her nasty halter-top-covered-muffin-top got off at Queensboro Plaza using the very classic, “I’m going down now, I’m losing you, I’m losing you” and she hung up.

2 comments:

  1. Very good descriptive wording on "her much repeated question stopped assaulting our ears." It's not wordy and it creates a very good mental image to which everyone can relate.

    Oh, and I am not sure if you can tell from your side being the author and all, but not all of the little reaction boxes you have at the bottom of your posts show. All I can see if "funny", "very eenteresting", and "true dat". I can tell that there is another one or maybe two below, but they don't show more than the top tiny bit of the letters. I don't want to rank any of them until I can see all the options... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the subway too, though I never really thought much of it until moving to OKC. (I only realized a few months prior to moving that OKC doesn't have a subway...)
    With almost a quarter of a century of experience as a straphanger (that's the nickname for subway rider, from back when there used to be straps instead of bars to hang on to) there's lots of stories to share about all kinds of people, animals, entertainers, and activity. Ah...and I'm guilty of switching my flats to death heels while on the subway to work. Or applying sunscreen to my face and arms. Or putting on the earrings I stuffed into my purse while running out the door. Or working on my lesson plan for next week's Toddler Church class. Playing sudoku. Reading a book.
    I mean, why waste all that commuting time doing nothing? ;)

    ReplyDelete