Thursday, June 23, 2011

Objects in Mirror Are...

The Assurance Trio from Heartland is in town this week, and I was off for part of the time they were here, so I got to hang out with them for a little bit. Meeting up with them after I got off work on Tuesday was when I realized just how close I actually am to the Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue and some of the other NY attractions. Just 20 blocks and I made it to the Rock. The girls were kinda creeped out when I just kind of appeared on the corner next to them after not being with them through the earlier part of the day. Not so much the raspy-voice-guy-with-a-stalker-scar-on-his-face creepy, more of the shocked-by-the-sudden-appearance-of-a-totally-normal-guy creepy.

The Lego store has this new interactive video display that shows what a completed one looks like when you hold the box in from of the camera. It was pretty cool, and I really wanted me some legos, I’m not gonna lie. Central Park is still there... and I need some more comfortable shoes if I’m gonna walk as much as I did.

On Wednesday, we went on the Staten Island Ferry, which gives a great view of the NYC skyline, as well as Liberty and Ellis Island. A ride on the Q, N, or R train from my neighborhood and a switch to the 4 or 5 gets me to where you get on the ferry. If you hit the trains right it’s about 30 minutes, which just makes me realize how many of these cool things are in my “backyard” so to speak.

Overall, I kinda saw how close some things are in my new city. There is still the distance, but as I get used to which train goes where and which street to leads to a certain landmark, it makes living here a little less daunting, and just a tinge more fun.

Also, I was recently informed that I am a dork.

2 comments:

  1. You work reasonably close to Chinatown as well (where, coincidentally, there is an abundance of the-harder-it-is-to-understand-the-person-taking-your-order-the-better-it-is-chinese-food). Take the N, Q, or R train from Times Square to Canal Street. About 7 stops or so.
    However, I much prefer you save your money for laundry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I agree with Anita... laundry has a higher priority than authentic Chinese! 2. I personally think that the day I no longer find Lego's fascinating is the day I officially become an "old" person! They are cool. 3. All those sights sound so cool that I am a little jealous but mostly happy that you are able to ENJOY living in NYC! 4. LOL! "Recently informed that I am a dork." No comments, just lots of laughter! :-)

    ReplyDelete