Friday, July 29, 2011

gumshoe

Two days in a row, I got gum on my shoe when riding the subway. Not on the street, not in the gutter, not on the platform to and fro, but on the car. Both times. My question is, who spits their gum out, ON THE SUBWAY CAR?!?

The first time, I could still smell the fruity-ness of the gum when I scraped it off. If it still smelled flavorful, it probably still had its taste. So why spit it out in the first place? The second time, just one day later, it was a nasty green color I could understand not wanting in ones mouth. In either case, it is ridiculous. Spit your gum where people don’t walk, or just swallow it. Better to be in your intestine for 6 or 7 years than annoying me on the bottom of my shoe.


That’s it, just needed to do a short rant... Just hope it doesn’t happen again tomorrow, that would just be weird...

3 comments:

  1. Haha- in over twenty years of subway riding, I've NEVER stepped on gum inside a subway car. I can't believe it happened to you 2 days in a row.
    Oh! Today, on the subway ride home from work, I changed from my "office" high heels (they look more professional) to my comfy flats. I thought of you and your earlier subway-related post.
    I know what you're probably thinking- why didn't I change them in the office? Well, that's simple. I have to rush out of the office as quickly as I can in order to make good on my escape. Any dillydallying to change my shoes might result in my having to take another call, scan another document, deal with a new important fax, send another email, address some other patient dilemma... No, after 10 hours or so, I just have to make a quick escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don't tempt fate! Weirder things have happened... After all, I am the girl who manages to lock herself out of her car, on the back way to Oklahoma, at a Shell station, at roughly 2 in the afternoon, Memorial Day weekend, exactly one year apart!! And my keys and phone were in the front seat both times too...

    If it happens again, I would check around for a gum fairy. Or Candid Camera. Or a stalker who likes to watch you scrape gum off of your shoe!

    Anita: I can totally relate! There are times if you don't bolt while you can you are just asking for something else to come up and keep you there longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should embrace the idea of a more unique and creative method of disposing of one's gum. Such as, starting your own gum wall. Seattle's Gum Wall is a actually a very popular tourist attraction. Perhaps starting your very own NYC Gum Wall, even within the subway, would prevent you from having the problem of gum on your shoe. You can see pictures of Seattle's Gum Wall on my FB Album labeled "Seattle, WA."

    ReplyDelete