Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Feelings on my new job

There is a palpable energy that comes from starting a new job. There is a partial sense of information overload as all of the details of your new responsibility are laid out before you. After having worked at one place for so long, I had become familiar with most all of the aspects of the job. This was good because I never lacked for something to do since I knew how to do pretty much everything. I seldom got bored as there was always a task or situation to take care of.


The interesting thing about a new job is getting to learn “how to work” all over again. While my previous experience with customers and cash-handling help, the environment and goals are a whole new ball-game. So far I enjoy the environment, and the people I have met with whom I will be working are great. And as far as the energy goes, it makes it exciting to go to work again. Not in the yay-I-can-pay-my-bills exciting, more like the yay-I-like-my-job exciting. I know there may come days in the future where work may become mundane once again, but there is actually a more immediate negative to my new job.


I want to be at the same level of experience I was at my old (now part time) job right now. But that came from eleven years. It isn’t so much a familiarity thing, although that is a part of it. It’s a confidence thing; you are ready to handle more of the situations thrown at you because you have that experience behind you. But in-spite/because of this, I have this sort of nervous anticipation at jumping head first into this opportunity.


Also, I am very glad to experience first-hand the reality of some bad situations preparing us for new and better possibilities. It is rather miraculous to get a good job in a new city known for being “cut-throat.”

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that you are excited about work again! That's always a blessing. There are few things worse than going to work at a job that you hate.

    I guess it has been quite a while since you were the "newbie." Not gonna lie, it does take time, but you WILL gain that confidence. Especially in the teller line, it really is all about experience and it does take time to build it. But, you'll do great!

    And I think that you getting such a good job so quickly and without the excessive numbers of interviews is rather miraculous, as in, it was definitely of God. =)

    And just think... that means that not only are you working, providing for yourself, etc, but you also have an amazing opportunity to be in "ministry." You know you are exactly where God wants you 'cause He clearly opened doors. You'll have the chance to fulfill your greatest ambition – helping people figure out and live out who God made them to be. Sounds pretty amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete