Thursday, July 14, 2011

beautiful day

I’m walking down Broadway Avenue during lunch with a gentle breeze in my face, and there is the most amazing smell coming from some restaurants close to 35th. It dawns on me, it is the most beautiful day (I use the article “the” not as if it is the only beautiful day there has ever been, but alluding to the idea of it being the quintessential beautiful day). I start singing “it’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood” in my head. I could have sung out loud, but I didn’t feel like looking like a crazy today.


I was totally thinking of Mr. Rogers then. That guy was cool. He rocked the cardigan and made changing shoes entertainment. The puppets, I didn’t get so much. But I was so fascinated when we learned how paper and crayons were made. I don’t remember all of the details, but I remember learning about those things.


You may not be laughing at me being funny right now, but come, you have a smile on your face thinking about Mr. Rogers don’t you? That’s what I thought... So what is your favorite memory from the neighborhood? And if you say the puppets, I don’t think we can be friends anymore. Neighbors maybe, but not friends.

2 comments:

  1. First off, the most beautiful day... so jealous! It's been sooooo hot here.

    Second, "didn't feel like looking like a crazy today." Today? As in sometimes you DO feel like looking like a crazy?! LOL!

    Third, I guess we are no longer the best of friends and must settle for the best of really long distance neighbors because the puppets and the trolley were my favorite part! It was the whole changing the shoes thing that left me scratching my head. But I do concede that you have to be pretty awesome to make changing shoes entertaining. And yes, both you being funny and thinking of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood does make me smile. =) See?

    And oddly enough I pass a billboard with Mr. Rogers on it all the time and so I was just thinking about him yesterday! Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED MR. Rogers! (If ya ask Tony he would say that I sing the theme song weekly hahahaha)

    I remember the paper and crayons being made TOO! (Honestly, If it was not for public television I would have been one dumb-ass kid!Hahahahaha) Beautiful days might be what Mr. Rogers creates in heaven and he sent one your way!:-D

    ReplyDelete