Sunday, September 4, 2011

Solve for X

z = -5y - 2x


OK, I’m sure many of you don’t want to think about algebra, but it was one of my favorite subjects. So, the question is, how many of you have figured out what z is equal to?


x + 5 = 4

y ⊗ x = 1

z = -5y - 2x


How about now? If you remember, you must first solve for what you can know, so by finding x, you can substitute it in the next equation. Then, knowing x and y, those can then be substituted to find z.

I’m guessing that none of you really wanted to get a math lesson, but there were a few things I noticed the other day.

I have many decisions/choices to make, just like many of you. Those decisions, and my sense of identity feel like z in the the first line: nothing but ethereal randomness. Now when X = God, and Y = His Word: who I am and what I am to do make a whole lot more sense.

I don’t mean to make faith formulaic, but if you think about it, everything needs context, or perspective. God is the absolute who can define existence in every way necessary for us to handle all of the other variables.

Also, I often try to “jump the gun” so to speak and figure out life on my own. I’m always trying to solve why and z, for the sake of having everything together. God is no more interested in that than I am of a root canal. Motives are important to Him, and which is why solving for X is not only the place to start, it is the reason to start. I shouldn’t simply solve for X to make life easier, I just need to solve for X, because X is the only one worthy.

Solve FOR X.

2 comments:

  1. I always liked Algebra too. It is logical and always follows the rules, unlike English with it's many exceptions.

    I can totally relate to life feeling random and meaningless without God in the equation. Sometimes when I am trying to solve for "why," I feel like Jacob wrestling all night, trying to insist that God "bless" me with the answers to my questions about life. I am learning that sometimes solving for X takes a lot of patience.

    Motive is important to Him and so is trust and timing. This was a good and convicting reminder that I needed today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a familiar concept presented in a way I'd never seen or considered. I can't help but enjoy this new perspective, nerd that I am.
    Assuming that the 2nd equation in the set of three is: y "multiplied by" x = 1 (the symbol looks odd, so I'm not positive), then that makes z=-3.
    It also means that you made x=y, which I find fitting, since in your analogy X is God and Y is His Word. =)
    And being the unconventional person you are you made X a negative number. Reminds me of your making the black chess piece the "Good King".
    ...Sorry if I'm reading too much into it. Told you I'm a nerd.

    ReplyDelete