Saturday, September 24, 2011

poo-headed people

Most anyone who knows me, is privy to the fact I have worked years in retail. Technically, it has been over a decade; I just celebrated/commemorated eleven years with the same office supply company. Not supposed to name names, but if you don’t work for one, they are all the same to you, but whatever. Also, my new job involves customer service, which is something I rather enjoy on occasion. I have spent countless hours in training/coaching on how to handle customers, this post is meant to teach people how to be a customer.


The main thing that stands out in my mind in regards to some of the most horrible customers is a common phrase many of them have uttered over the years. “I know what it’s like to work retail, I have for such-and-such-many-years, you’re just ______” (I have only heard that one time in a positive way, when being railed on by a customer, a lady who was, I believe, truly intending constructive criticism, not revealing some portent to an impending complaint). For me and most people in service who hear that phrase, the question we have is “if you’ve done this job, how do you have the nerve to treat another human being the way you are right now?”


Seriously, people will yell at you, call you names, demand you get fired (in front of you), throw pens or printers at you, curse at you, (yeah, I said “throw printers at you”) over something they did, or because you wouldn’t break a law for them (printing, copyright stuff, so much fun). I can be persnickety, but I’m not mean to people. I’m not going to be a pretentious snob to a waitress, “just because I’ve had to endure horrible customers when I was a waiter, so now I can be a poo-head to everyone else.”


A big fact you’ll hear a lot when in any service industry: people are more likely to complain about a small grievance than they are to compliment good service. That means that on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being “horrific-nearly-killed-the-customer” and 10 being “nirvana” (the metaphysical-state-of-being-thing, not the band), people expect nirvana. If they get 8, “best-service-that-is-actually-humanly-possible” they’ll be happy. Now give them 7, “I’m-doing-the-best-I-can-to-take-care-of-you” and they’ll tell your supervisor you were adequate. 5, “I-stopped-smiling-after-you-called-me-stupid-the-fifth-time-in-as-many-seconds” will get you a complaint, because it wasn’t nirvana.


Now, by no means am I saying customers shouldn’t be treated well. But customers need stop having the attitude that anything less-than-nirvana deserves a complaint. I don’t expect to change the world in this post, but I’ll be content changing you. Yes, you. Next time you are a customer, recognize the fact that the person in front of you is a human being. Don’t excuse rudeness or laziness, but be thankful for some service. If the person actually tried, have a thankful attitude. If you haven’t been there, imagine 6 to 8 hours of people being condescending to you just because you work retail even though they still don’t understand how taxes change the total.


In short, don’t be a poo-head, having dealt with them doesn’t give you the right to be one, it gives you the responsibility to end the cycle. And, if you ever get brave enough, you can even call out the next poo-head you see in line (or shall I say “out of line”) somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Can I get an "Amen"? Thank you!!! I love working with customers, but there are times that I feel like telling them EXACTLY what you have said! And I too have wondered how someone who endured what retail/customer service people endure could bear to turn around and do it themselves?!

    On a funnier note... the mental picture of you being a "pretentious snob" truly made me laugh!! Also good use of fun words like "persnickety." Maybe that one should have been added to your post about cool words... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to hear someone else point this out finally!
    At my last job I had someone try to pee on me, had men put their genitalia on the counter top (thank God for Lysol)and was offered marijuana AS A TIP from some stone heads.
    So, imaginary clink from my coffee mug to your Starbucks espresso, here's to manners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO call out the poo-heads in line with me:-) I love doing that because I do it so nicely they can't really fight back but just hate me even more...Hahahaha (my friend, an ex-coworker said to me the other day..."Working with you was really fun to watch because I could tell when you got pissed off by the way you basically say back to the customer in the sweetest way possible that "I'm sorry but you can't screw me over, it's just NOT going to happen." Hahahaha) Oh man, I don't miss those crazy selfish people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something you can only understand when taking care of customers for sure...

    ReplyDelete