Tuesday, September 20, 2011

just some updates

I have had a few things on my mind over the past couple of days.


First, I want to give everyone some updates on events or situations they may be curious about. I went to go buy an umbrella, remembering before I was getting drenched in a rainstorm. As I’m looking through the umbrellas, the selection was horrible: pink, purple, leopard, zebra or polka-dotted. Suffice to say, I didn’t buy an umbrella. The other day, the automated announcement “do not hold doors when train is leaving the station” played twice each stop for about 8 consecutive stops on the way home from work. I think the door-violator-operator was on duty.


I have been in NYC for almost four months now. So many things have changed, out of the expected changes, and it has been a very exciting journey. I love my church here, the city is incredible, I like my new job.


The first thing on my mind is the upcoming winter. If my umbrella is any indication of how I have adjusted to weather situations, I’m gonna freeze to death. jasonwarrenemly-popsicle anyone? I just had a great idea as I wrote that: I need a winter-in-NYC-survival-guide-checklist. NYC natives, send one my way please.


The next is a little more serious (although not freezing to death is serious). What next? I believe God has me here for the indefinite future. Is it to stay forever in my church, or start a church in another part of the city? I know answers may not come immediately for every question, but sometimes it seems difficult to discern between needing to make a decision as part of a long term goal, and making the next decision without knowing the long-term plan.


Nothing too profound today, just some smatterings of brain matters...

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the difficulty in making decisions when you don't know God's long term plan. All I can say from experiences as recent as last week, talk to your counselors, pray, and seek God's will. He will show you step by step what the right path is even if He doesn't show you the end goal yet. A lot of the time, He will shine a flashlights worth of light on our path, so we know just enough to take the next step. He will show you in His perfect time.

    I am praying for you friend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I asked about the umbrella before I read this post. :)
    Can't really add much to Anne's comment, so I shall turn my attention to your other conundrum.
    The NYC winter checklist is pretty similar to most any other northern area, I imagine. Except you gotta keep in mind that you'll be walking a whole lot so don't try to get away with too much (or in this case, too little). Warm, waterproof boots are a must. Extra socks. And judging by your umbrella negligence, you're likely to try to get by without gloves. Don't. You may want ear warmers unless you get a hat that really covers your ears. (No. Sorta-covers-your-ears won't cut it. You can make do I suppose, but your ears will constantly feel like they're in danger of falling off.) /I/ think a scarf is essential, though my brother refuses to wear one (gangsta dress code forbids it) and he's survived so I guess you could too.
    Hot chocolate. Don't forget the hot chocolate.
    Oh, and look what I found: http://www.travel-avenue.com/posts/47615-winter-survival.html

    And finally, I had to laugh at the door-violator-operator striking again.

    ReplyDelete