Friday, August 5, 2011

walking stupid

I get pretty intense when I walk. Not in general, if just walking to walk, I kinda like to stroll. But if I’m on my way some where, I walk with intensity, which works well in the city. Something that makes me laugh though is seeing some people who need a lesson in how to walk when they aren’t the only person in a 10-yard radius. OK, it doesn’t actually make me laugh... it makes me Hulk-level-mad so be glad I’ve not been exposed to gamma radiation. Alright, not actually that mad, but I do say “seriously” in the most stern inside-my-own-head voice.


Just today there was a lady walking reeeaallly slow, and instead of moving to one side on stairs down to the subway, she put her hands on both rails so no one hurrying to the about-to-depart-train could get past her. For starters, annoying. And ridiculous to consider someone actually touching both rails. Seriously, does she not consider hygiene? I only touch the rail when necessary, especially after reading the article earlier this week on the level of bacteria found on handrails and such in the subway. I don’t need to worry about vengeance on this poor woman, she infected herself with e. coli.


You’re horrible! You just laughed about some woman getting a bacterial infection. You should be ashamed of yourself. I should be ashamed too. Should be, but I’m not. How about we just agree to work on that.


The other walking habit that bothers me is the meanderer. I don’t care if you walk slow, more power to you, but don’t meander about the sidewalk blocking normal-speed walking people. And while on this area, why do groups of people walk like six wide? That’s just stupid. Unless you’re doing a photo shoot, then it might look cool, but otherwise it is just stupid.

2 comments:

  1. OK, you totally made me laugh at this poor, crazy lady!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like SUCH a NYer with this rant! =D

    Walking while "stupid" is among the top provokers of NYers' inner-rage. It's partly why we're impatient with tourists too: when that couple blocks the subway escalator (stand right, walk left, people!) we tend to think "stupid tourists."
    Funnily enough, for all we know, that couple may live on our block. :)

    About the handrail lady, maybe she has some kind of back or leg problem that makes it difficult to use stairs without support. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete