Thursday, August 4, 2011

to blossip or not to blossip?

When I consider the topics or events I want to write about, there are times I worry about crossing a certain line. There are certain boundaries predetermined for me by work code of ethics wherein I am not allowed to discuss work related things for professional and security reasons. Other “lines” can be kinda blurry which causes me to wonder when something goes from a story to being blossip (blog gossip, if you didn’t catch that word-mash).


Every once in a while, the things or event dominating my thoughts isn’t something to blog about, even when there is nothing else I could wish to write about more. This could be a family event that you want to talk about, but it is best left in the family; my level of comfort discussing something may not be the same level as family members.


How about roommates? We all have stories. We are the story on occasion. But what about the fact that readers may know our roommates, do humorous stories get a pass? What about the mention of a neighbor without divulging the distinction of a proper noun? Do I get away with it if I sprinkle in equal parts of self-deprecation?


I’m not talking about cyber-bullying, I’m not hiding behind anonymity. I guess this would apply to facebook too. Etiquette hasn’t caught up yet. So since the jury may be out on this one, what is the public opinion? When does a story, or telling of an event, become blossip? When does the information become TMI?

2 comments:

  1. You raise an interesting question. I don't think it's one that is easily answered either...

    I guess the "Golden Rule" is still the best rule to go by. If the story is something you would not want to be told to the entire world (and posting something on the internet basically means that) if the story were about you or if you KNOW the other person would not appreciate it then I would either get the person's permission first or not post it at all. Or just make it so generic that no one would know specifically who it is about, which may mean not telling the story until years later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know, and I tend to be a private person myself, so I err on the side of caution. Part of why I rarely post on Facebook. Sorry I don't have a better answer, but Anne made a good point with the Golden Rule.

    ReplyDelete