Saturday, August 13, 2011

29 years of experience

I don’t know how many of you have read the short blurb on the right side of the screen, but today is a very important element to that story. Today is my dad’s birthday and there is something very unique about this particular birthday. As of today my dad officially has more years of experience that he does years of age. He is 28 with 29 years of experience.


If you thinks that’s weird... in October I’m going to be older than my dad. Now if you have issues with someone suspending their age at a given point, you need to find the ten-year-old inside. Everyone of us has that idealistic kid somewhere inside, but for most people he or she is buried under tons of debris.


Get the shovel and pick-axe out and start digging. Chisel away the layers of people disappointing or hurting you. Cast aside the dirt blocking your vision, and don’t just remember the days when the glass was half-full, but once again start believing the glass isn’t “half-empty.”


This is my happy birthday wish to my dad, who allowed me to be the idealistic kid. He taught me to read, and gave me the belief that I could go anywhere and be anything. He even chaperoned the first trip I took to New York, and I don’t think he ever really wanted me to end up here, but I think somewhere inside he knew I’d eventually end up here. Yeah I miss him being “just around the corner,” but it’s nice to know he supports me following my calling...


BTW, the idealistic kid inside of me is still there, but he’s pretty close to the surface... And just to clarify, I’m not endorsing immaturity, I’m meaning to encourage you to break down the walls you use to keep people at a distance. Go back to the days before you started protecting yourself.


Say hi to the next unicorn you see...

3 comments:

  1. Ok, wow! Once again, very moving. You just have a way of wording things...

    I hope to see a unicorn tomorrow. If I do I will tell her hi. Who knows? I may even touch horns. =)

    ReplyDelete