A couple of days ago, someone who sees me at work frequently noted that I have a zen quality about me. Nothing seems to phase me when I am at work and this individual asked me an interesting question: when was the last time I had a bad day at work? The question came after I started a short conversation with a complete stranger in line, and we were both laughing (out loud even). This isn’t common in New York, and I sure that if we had spoken longer I would have learned of some connection we have in this small world.
I had difficulty pinpointing a “bad day.” I’ve had irritating incidents, and long days, but not any bad ones. I was actually stumped by the question, so I answered with “I don’t know.” He said that is what he thought I would say. I’m a pretty cool customer. Things get to me, but don’t consume my being for days at a time.
While at work today, I happen to look out as a man and woman are crossing the street. It looks like they are arguing, but as they get to the curb it looks like the man hits the woman hard in the face. They struggle a bit and he walks/runs away and she crumbles on the ground and starts screaming. She doesn’t enter the building, but between my coworkers and by-standers, the cops are called.
What looked like a hit from my distance was actually mace sprayed in her face by the assailant at point blank range. Once he struck her, he took her wallet. It was likely some one she knew, mainly the impression I got was it wasn’t a random attack. Either way, I was the only one of my co-workers to see anything, and interestingly, I also seem to get the majority of weird clients while I am working.
In less that six months I have seen public vomiting, two separate instances of public urination, fights in public, and assault in broad daylight, as well as many odd behaviors not seen by some native New Yorkers.
I’m wondering if me being “zenish” is drawing out all the crazy in my presence. I’m thinking, if opposites do attract, I’m so not crazy, I work like a magnet drawing it out for me to witness.
So despite all of the arguments we have, we aren’t crazy... I’m not crazy... not we... I don’t know what we were thinking there...
Ok, so I've witnessed public vomiting/urination, but only rarely... in over 20 years I can count all such instances on one hand. Public fights I've seen too - a bit more frequently, if yelling at each other counts as a "fight." Assault in broad daylight? Never. Nor have I ever witnessed the whinny-cluck-howl dude, a shoving match at the train door, or a train operator accusing people of being "door violators." Oh, and I've never stepped on gum inside a subway car.
ReplyDeleteReally now, non-New Yorkers reading this blog are going to think it's insane over here.
It's great that you have that testimony (I mean the zenish...ness, not the crazy-magnetism).
My coworkers often comment on how I can see something positive or say something kind in every situation, which leads to very good witnessing opportunities since really it's not me but Christ in me...
It gives me extra motivation to walk in the Spirit- because if I say things like that and don't follow through consistently then it reflects poorly on the Savior that I'm claiming to follow.
And...wow...I just realized that my coworkers also noticed how I tend to attract the most negative, critical patients all day long at work. They marvel at how, on my days off, the angry people won't bug the office, and right when I come back...BOOM! My very presence draws them out.
Okay, so maybe there's something to your conjecture. My optimism attracts the pessimists. Meanwhile the weirdos are drawn to your...normality?...Uh, no, that doesn't fit... :)
Wait a sec... Anita are you saying that NYC is NOT crazy? Boy am I getting two different pictures of the same place! I guess some day I will have to check it out myself. =)
ReplyDeleteI agree. I somehow end up with the craziest phone calls at work. But I don't think it's 'cause I am the sanest person working there! But it could very well be God giving the opportunity to be a Christ-like witness.