Something like 106 percent of New Yorkers ride the subway at least twice a day. If you have a problem with my stats, just remember: I haven’t had math class in... um... I ran out of fingers so I don’t know how long it’s been. Anyway, there are (un)written (they are probably written somewhere, I just don’t feel like doing actual research at the moment) rules on how to act with regard to subways, riding, getting on and off, etc.
As long as people do what makes sense, things can run smoothly, even amid the larger crowds. I would say people act stupid, but really, the irritating thing to me is the people just being selfish-rude. This doesn’t have so much to do with sitting on the train, most people use decency when it comes to giving up their seats for elderly, pregnant, and families with children.
The “rule” is that you should let people get off the train when it arrives at the platform, then get on. One of my new pet peeves is the people blocking the door and getting on, (some even walk in the middle of the door so no one can get past them in either direction) before anyone has gotten off. When I first got here, I would feel bad brushing against these people, and throw in an “excuse me” as I got out of the train. One of the things different about me now is not even feeling bad if I bump into these people when I get off.
That may sound rude, but it’s not. What’s funny is the fact that I’ve actually started verbally saying “Really?” to the really bad ones. Today I even saw one guy yell at another for this very thing. In other places that could be seen as rude, but really it is peer-correction. Somebody blocking people to get on the train first is actually disrupting everyone’s flow, and in some cases some people get stuck on trains for extra stops, having to go extra stops just to turn around because they could get past selfish poo-heads.
Next on subways: taking lazy to a new level...
Yes! I had to laugh at the thought of you initially being apologetic for run-ins with door blockers (who are in such a hurry to get on the train that they won't let anyone off).
ReplyDeleteI sometimes say "excuse me," but it has very slight "...you selfish poo-head" undertones to it. :)
OK, was totally gonna call you out on your "statistics" but I guess since you confessed on your own I will only half way call you out on it... =P
ReplyDeleteMy initial response to this whole topic is this: *Gasp* You are turning into a real New Yorker!! And it has only taken four months... Then I think that your "peer-correction" concept has merit. Maybe it's not rude like it sounds at first, but more like honking at a bad driver in traffic, except it's human traffic rather than cars and subway doors rather than highway exits. Hey, even your "door violator" lady is rather like the highway patrol!
Oh, and I am highly curious to see what your "taking lazy to a new level" post will say! With the stories you have told so far, I can't even imagine!
"really" tends to pop out at the bad ones now.
ReplyDeletepeer-correction is an idea that will spread as word spreads of my statistical prowess...