I met Jason while he was visiting a friend of mine. We all went to a workshop led by a good actor friend of mine. I was excited when he asked if I would contribute to his blog—a story genre I’m just beginning to learn more about. He said any topic I wanted so…
Stories. We all have them. Our lives are a story—a complexity of protagonists and emotions. I love stories in all forms: film, television, books, blogs, in person, etc. Authenticity is key for me. Some of my favorite films and television shows—especially sitcoms, include moments so reflective of a conversation or incident that my husband and I had that we will look at each other and then start to look for the hidden cameras.
I find myself occupying time with the funny stories but my favorite ones are the drama. They are my favorite but they are also the hardest to hear, to read, to see, to portray. These are my favorite because it is usually in the difficult stories that we see humanity and ourselves most accurately.
Some of my favorite “stories” at the moment include Hugh Hefner (Celebrity), David (O.T. Bible,) Brokeback Mountain (Film,) and my friend “Carol”.
I know that list probably raises a few eyebrows but these stories resound with me for one reason or another-it could be because of their authenticity , because of their impact I’ve seen on others, or because I learned or became aware of something new through them.
I think it’s important to really know people in order to connect with them. These days we’re “friends” with a lot of people on Facebook. Often times, and I do it to, we just see people or know little bits of information about them and then we categorize them, write them off or make them a project.
To illustrate more in depth relationships and a better understanding of story I’m going to give a general overview and use broad generalizations of my current favorite stories—ironic, I know.
I’ll never forget the day I learned Hef’s story. I’ll not share it now, but suffice it to say, I can now understand why he is the man he is, why the bunnies, why the magazine. I don’t agree with those things mind you but after hearing his story it is hard to define him by those things alone. It’s difficult to write him off.
David. He is like my judgmental check on religious people and philanderers. Some religious people annoy me and then I think of David dancing in the streets and how not everyone will understand or agree with our religious expressions. And, as far as the philandering, I live in Hollywood and people sure do get around, married or not, and I want to hate the players but that would once again mean writing someone off and defining them by only a small part that I’m privy to. I mean, God allows David to be defined as a man after his own heart even after having a dude killed just to have sex with his wife.
Brokeback Mountain. Saw this film twice in a row. To me, it is the embodiment of the quote “ Men living lives of quiet desperation. “ The feel of the film is dead on mid-west. I’ve never watched it and thought “homosexuality.” I’ve never watched it though and haven’t for days afterward thought about the quiet desperation I see in everyone around me, the war that people fight everyday or the one they’ve resigned themselves to not winning. There’s no agenda-though those with a bias or those who’ve never seen it would say otherwise. It just is and the depth in the portrayal of the story is so accurate that it is brilliant.
And finally there is Carol. She is an older lady who has done well for herself in Los Angeles, which is evidenced only by her large amount of ridiculously expensive jewelry and her cars. For years-because she does not like anyone right away and she barely likes anyone period, the most I knew about her was that she used to party hard and that she was somebody’s mistress for most her life and that she watched a lot of television.
It blew my mind when she told me what her favorite movie was that she has watched at least once a week her entire life- The 10 Commandments. I asked why and that began the first of many great conversations.
What is your story? Whose story have you heard recently that taught you something about yourself or the world around you? Is there a book, television show, comic whose story you really dig and why.
If you need some help and inspiration for your personal story I highly recommend Donald Millers book-A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. He has a great story and is great at telling them.
Hi Jason's-Guest-Blogger,
ReplyDeleteAt the risk of sounding like an annoying religious person (though I hope I don't!), I have to say that Christ's story is by far the most influential, life-altering story I have ever encountered. I'm still learning from it eleven years later, and I believe it's impossible - utterly impossible - to overstate it's impact in my life.
David's friend Jonathan (I'm talking O.T. Bible now) is another whose story I consider an all-time favorite. He was logically next in line to become king of Israel, and yet supported David when God chose *him* to be king instead. Talk about selflessness and loyalty, especially in light of the fact that history has countless examples of heirs murdering anyone, even family, who stood in the way of their gaining power. Besides that, Jonathan's loyalty to God unavoidably put him at odds with his father, whom he obviously respected. This was particularly meaningful for me since my own dad nearly disowned me for becoming a Christian.
I don't think it is a mistake that much of the Bible is a narrative (pastor-speak for story). God made us to connect with stories. A sermon I am working on has to do with the very idea that each of us is a "story" God is telling to bring glory to Himself, as well as bring others to Him. There is actually a text that states precisely that, but I don't want to "spoil" the sermon if I have a chance to preach it:)
ReplyDeleteDear anonymous,
ReplyDeleteBefore I answer your question, I must say that you did a great job being a guest blogger! Your post was well written and thought provoking.
Even though it was just hinted at, I think the underlying theme I got from your post is about not being judgmental. How if we only knew that person's story, if we could see them the way God does (because He actually does know their whole story), then maybe we could accept them with all of their faults and love them the way God does. While we may not agree with the choices that people make and they could even be sinful,harmful choices, if we understood where they came from we could understand how we could have made those same mistakes. We are not above any of their sins.
To answer your question, like Anita, the easy and obvious answer is Jesus. But it's also true. If you knew my story, then you would be able to marvel with me at where God has brought me today. I know where I could be, how easy it would have been for me to be there, and even how "normal" it would be. Statistically speaking, I am an anomaly. The reason my story has turned out differently and infinitely better than it could have is Jesus. I would have been one of those people living their lives in quiet (or not so quiet) desperation if I hadn't known Jesus' story.
That being understood, obviously there are other people's stories that have influenced me.
1) My parents, who mistakes I am desperate not to repeat.
2)Darlene Deibler Rose, a missionary wife who was a POW to the Japanese during WWII. Her story was written in "Evidence Not Seen." One of the reasons it is so influential to me is how "real" she is. She doesn't try to exalt herself but shows her weaknesses and reliance on God very clearly.
3) Ruth (OT Bible), because she showed mind-boggling faith and loyalty when she chose to leave everything she had ever known to follow the God she had found and to take care of her bitter old mother-in-law who didn't want her to come in the first place. She too was an anomaly; she "shouldn't" have made those choices. I think her story has always given me strength to realize that I can rise above my past, make hard choices, and come through it to experience the previously unimaginable blessings of God.