Sunday, February 5, 2012

So (NoT) much 2 Say...

For many of the last 80 posts, (can you believe 80?) I have told stories about me getting used to a new city. It has been a cathartic release of the tensions surrounding getting acclimated to so many changes in life. This is part of the reason that I have so much to say, but nothing at the same time. A few weeks ago I realized the city isn’t really all that new to me any more; I feel like I’ve been here forever. Funny things still happen, it’s just that I have become a typical New Yorker who easily looks past the everyday bizarre.


Telling my stories, expressing ideas and letting people inside my head has been incredibly fun (and my favorites was pretty cool). As I thought back to when I started this blog, it was with the intention of relating the ins and outs of my “new life”. But it was also an exercise in expression. For so long I’ve been relating events that key in on the changes in what’s going on around me, I guess I over looked the fact that I’ve been changing too. I’ve not become some radically different person since last June, but by no means am I the same guy that rode up in the U-haul with most of my stuff eight months ago.


Warning: Don’t judge me about this next disclosure, it isn’t girly or metro, or like, whatever. (Just so you know, the disclosure will not be girly, but the end of the last sentence was intentionally, in case you didn’t pick up on my subtle sarcasm). Anyway, I took one of the final steps in becoming a bona fide New Yorker, I bought winter boots to get by in the snow. I also got a pair of shoe to leave at work so I can wear comfortable shoes during the transit, or so I can do some exercise before or after work. The idea of changing shoes seemed silly to me when I got here for whatever reason. Mister Rogers used to do that, but it seemed arbitrary when I watched it as a kid, like it was some way to teach us how to shoes go on feet. I feel the need to again express appreciation for Mr. Rogers, but I don’t want to digress or stray to far of (non)topic.


Now it seems ridiculous not having done this with my shoes to begin with; I even commented on how odd it was to see a woman switching to her death-heals just before her stop on the subway. I guess even though I saw some practicality in changing shoes, it still seemed odd to me. It is after commuting to, standing at, and commuting from work in dress shoes for so long my feet told me to get with the program right after they yelled at me for waiting to clip the nails on their toes.

Driving everywhere makes it a little more difficult to understand the logic behind this because you just wear what you need to be wearing when you arrive at you destination. Now imagine your commute involved walking and standing for 45 minutes to an hour each way: even the best of dress shoes aren’t that comfortable and they aren’t made for that kind of abuse. When getting ready for work, I simply need to figure out what I need to wear depending on the weather or any after work activities. So I’ve changed how I think in this area, and I also figured out a portion of scripture that has confused me for some time now, but more on that later. Hopefully it’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood for you.


Oh I did want to mention that I anticipate my blog changing up a bit just like I am. Toying with different ideas like reviewing different things (comics or restaurants, etc.), still telling stories of course, but I think the focus will change from “how weird some things are in this NEW city” to “my life in YORK.” Get it, it’s not “new” anymore, so it’s just “york”... That’s actually the alternate title to this post: “My Life in York”

1 comment:

  1. Well that's ironic... I remember your post about the lady switching her shoes on the subway, and at the time I figured you thought it was odd for her to do so while still on the train (rather than waiting until she arrived at her place of employment or other destination). It never crossed my mind that it was the act of changing shoes itself that seemed silly!
    Don't worry, leaving a pair of shoes at work is not girly in the least. Leaving multiple pairs of shoes at work, so you have a selection and can choose the pair that look best with your current outfit - /that/ would be girly.

    ReplyDelete