Robots will take over the world and humanity will have to fight for survival. The previous sentence describes the theme of many sci-fi dystopian futures or super-heroic escapades. At the core of these stories are a.i. beings that take on a mind of their own. There’s Terminator, I, Robot, Ultron and Danger (from the Avengers and X-men respectively) and many more I can’t think of because it’s not like I’m an uber-geek or anything.
There have been a lot of technological advancement in my lifetime, many of which I really like. Computers have gone from the size of a house to doing infinitely more amazing things while fitting in your pocket. Appliances have multiplies functions while consuming less energy. Entertainment devices make it possible to have games, music and videos in arms reach wherever you go. One advancement with the feel of something from Star Trek is our smart phones; these things are incredible, and once they add the “Beam Me Up Scottie” app for teleportation, we will know we have arrived in the future.
I’m curious, how long is it until the A.I. comes along, since some of these devices already have features that “think” already? Which designer out there has a program that has gone of script and is now planning subversive take over measures making all of those sci-fi tales akin to prophecy? Imagine a world where technology takes over our everyday lives to the point in which it dictates our relationships and expression. What will we do when the robots show up to enslave us, severing our ties to other people because they lack the emotional capacity to comprehend the need for human interaction?
I wonder how this A.I. take-over will change my life. Will we be allowed to carry on with our normal lives for a while before a complete war, or will it be a Matrix situation over night? What will it be like in the subway this afternoon, walking down the street, driving in my car or just standing in line at the coffee shop? Will we be restricted from the basic civilities of human contact in these everyday activities?
Artificial Intelligence is not the A.I. that should concern us but rather Artificial Interaction and Artificial Importance. Robots dominating existence makes for some fun entertainment, but the scary trend is people getting lost in their little world to the point the person next to them ceases to have as much value as whatever is on the mobile device in front of them.
It seems to be a nuisance now to speak to a real person long enough to blurt out your coffee order before turning your iTunes back up, and sadly it is the baristas fault if the guy in noise-canceling headphones can’t hear when his order is ready. Conversation is rare on the subway, I don’t know what it used to be like, but from my experience people give strange and irritated glances toward people talking, especially if their conversation is somewhat loud and animated. Peoples devices make them feel like there are interacting, when they aren’t and give them an elevated sense of importance (like, “hey look at me, I have this great taste and I have such high value, I must be accessible at all times or the world will come to an end).
We shouldn’t be afraid of heartless automatons taking over humanity, but of giving up our humanity to become the soulless creature intent on downloading that last byte of vanity.
My rant is over. Now, turn of your headphones or get your face out of the e-book and talk to a real person today.
Agree, whole heartedly!
ReplyDelete